The Uttar Pradesh police and Punjab police took down the three suspected Khalistani terrorists in an encounter during a joint operation on Monday.

Three Suspected Khalistani Terrorists Killed in UP Encounter; ISI Backing Revealed, Says Punjab DGP

Pilibhit, Uttar Pradesh, December 23, 2024 — Three suspected Khalistani terrorists, killed in a joint encounter by Uttar Pradesh and Punjab police early on Monday, were reportedly backed by Pakistan’s Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI), according to Punjab Director General of Police (DGP) Gaurav Yadav. The militants, all members of the Khalistan Zindabad Force (KZF), were allegedly involved in a deadly grenade attack on the Bakshiwala police post in Gurdaspur, Punjab.

The three operatives, identified as Varinder Singh alias Ravi, Vi Gurvinder Singh, and Jaspreet Singh alias Pratap Singh, were part of a larger terrorist network suspected of planning further attacks in the region. Their deaths represent a significant blow to the KZF’s operations in India, as well as to the larger Khalistani separatist movement, which continues to find support from Pakistan-based terror outfits.

A Coordinated Joint Operation

The successful operation unfolded in the early hours of Monday in Pilibhit, Uttar Pradesh, as a result of a highly coordinated effort between the Uttar Pradesh police and Punjab police. After receiving credible intelligence, both forces launched a tactical raid targeting the three suspects who were believed to be actively planning additional attacks.

“The operation was a significant breakthrough in our ongoing efforts to combat ISI-sponsored terrorism in Punjab,” Punjab DGP Gaurav Yadav told reporters during a press conference. “These three individuals were not just foot soldiers; they were part of a larger network run by Ranjit Singh Nita, the Pakistan-based chief of KZF. This was a well-organized and sophisticated terrorist cell.”

ISI Backing and International Connections

According to the DGP, the terrorist cell was operating under the direct influence of Pakistan’s intelligence agency, the ISI. The operation’s mastermind, Ranjit Singh Nita, is believed to be the chief of the KZF and is reportedly based in Pakistan. However, the network had international connections, with key operatives operating out of Europe.

The DGP also revealed the role of Jaswinder Singh Manu, a man based in Greece who allegedly acted as a key link between the KZF leadership and the ground operatives in India. Manu is said to have coordinated the logistics and communications for the group, funneling orders from Nita to the deceased terrorists.

The Role of Jagjit Singh in the UK

Further investigation has uncovered the involvement of Jagjit Singh, a British national allegedly working in the UK’s armed forces. Singh, believed to be the mastermind behind the grenade attack in Gurdaspur, operated under the assumed identity of Fateh Singh Bagi.

“We have established that Jagjit Singh, operating under the alias Fateh Singh Bagi, was the person responsible for planning the attack on the Bakshiwala police post. He is believed to be working in the British Army, and his involvement highlights the transnational nature of the terror threat we are dealing with,” DGP Yadav explained.

According to Yadav, Singh’s involvement was central to the planning of the attack and the recruitment of individuals for the KZF’s cause. The fact that Singh was using an alias and operating from within the UK military underscores the scale of the international Khalistani terror network and its capacity to recruit and mobilize operatives across borders.

Grenade Attack on Bakshiwala Police Post

The attack on the Bakshiwala police post in Gurdaspur, which took place earlier this year, marked one of the most audacious acts of terror in Punjab in recent months. The grenade explosion injured several officers and served as a chilling reminder of the continued threat posed by Khalistani militant groups. The Punjab Police, in coordination with national intelligence agencies, had been tracking the movement of the terrorists since the attack.

The three terrorists killed in Monday’s encounter are believed to have been part of the operational team responsible for the bombing. The attack was claimed in the name of the KZF, with a statement from an individual identifying himself as Fateh Singh Bagi, further corroborating the link to Jagjit Singh’s operations.

A Major Blow to KZF Operations

This encounter marks a significant victory for Indian law enforcement in the battle against terror. The KZF, which has been trying to resurface as a formidable threat in the region, has been linked to a number of violent incidents in Punjab and across northern India. The recent killing of these three operatives has dealt a serious blow to the organization’s ability to plan and execute future attacks.

The police have expressed confidence that the dismantling of this cell will have far-reaching consequences on the KZF’s ability to recruit and organize within India. The operation is seen as part of a broader effort to clamp down on cross-border terrorism and disrupt the activities of pro-Khalistan groups with external support.

Increased Vigilance and Ongoing Investigations

While the immediate threat posed by the three militants has been neutralized, law enforcement agencies continue to investigate the full extent of their network. Investigators are currently focusing on international links and potential financing channels that have supported the KZF’s activities.

Security has been heightened in key areas of Punjab and Uttar Pradesh, and border controls are under increased surveillance as authorities brace for possible retaliation from extremist elements.

DGP Gaurav Yadav emphasized the need for continued vigilance, stating, “This operation is just one part of our broader strategy to dismantle ISI-backed terrorism. We will not rest until all the perpetrators of violence are brought to justice, no matter where they are based.”

International Collaboration on Terrorism

This successful joint operation between Punjab and Uttar Pradesh police underscores the importance of inter-state and international cooperation in the fight against terrorism. As the investigation continues, officials have indicated that more arrests may be imminent, as they work with international agencies to track down other members of the network.

The case also highlights the increasing role of international terrorism and the challenges posed by individuals operating from foreign soil, especially in countries with large Indian diasporas like the UK.

As Indian authorities tighten their security measures, the public has been reassured that steps are being taken to prevent further escalation of terrorist activities. The collaboration between different law enforcement agencies—both at the state and international levels—remains a cornerstone of India’s counterterrorism strategy.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *